Friday, October 1, 2010

Lab 1 Where I live in my life =)

This assignment will be finding three interesting maps and writing one paragraph about each map. I also need to identify the source of the maps, describe the maps, and discuss what I find interesting about the maps. Therefore, I found 3 maps online, which are closely relating to my life.


Map 1
Source: California City Poputlation Map, Californiamaps.us. Accessible at http://www.californiamaps.us/California-Major-City-Map.html 10:45am, Oct 1st, 2010



   This map is about California population. Most people live in San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San diego. This illustrates that these are major areas in CA. The map implies that CA's five largest cities are Los Angeles, San Diego, San Jose, San Francisco, and Long Beach, and its capital is Sacramento. 


   I found this map interesting because I am now living in LA, which is one of the largest cities in CA. I learn more about population growth in CA. California's population growth includes natural increase and international immigration. A high population density may create the problems of traffic congestion, pollution, and crimes. However, more people bring more transactions and financial activities. I enjoy living in LA now, but traffic jam here is really serious.



Map 2


Souce: Washingington Road Map, Geology.com. Accessible at http://geology.com/cities-map/washington.shtml  11:47am, Oct 1st, 2010


   This map is about roads in Washington state (WA). As we can see from the map, Washington's North-South interstates include Interstate 5 and Interstate 205, while its East-West interstates are Interstate 90 and Interstate 82. Moreover, Route 2, Route 12, Route 97, Route 101, Route 195 and Route 395 are US Highways and State Routes in Washington. Cities with populations over 10,000 are Aberdeen, Anacortes, Auburn, Bellevue, Bellingham, Bremerton, Burien, Camas, Centralia, Kennewick, Des Moines, Edmonds, Ellensburg, Everett, Federal Way, Issaquah, Kelso, Kent, Lacey, Lakewood, Longview, Marysville, Moses Lake, Mount Vernon, Mountlake Terrace, Mukilteo, Oak Harbor, Pasco, Port Angeles, Pullman, Redmond, Renton, Richland, Seattle, Shoreline, Spokane, Sunnyside, Tacoma, University Place, Vancouver, Walla Walla, Wenatchee and Yakima.


    I like this map because it shows all the cities' names and boundaries in WA. I lived in there for 2 years, and I stayed mainly at Bellevue and Seattle. I can calculate the land area of WA from this map, which equals to around 66,544 square miles.Many people may misunderstand that Seattle is Washington's capital, but Olympia is truly the capital of the state. Because of the rainy weather in WA which facilitates plants' growth, WA's nickname is  Evergreen State.


Map 3


Souce: Overview of Tropical Cyclones in August 2010, Hong Kong Observatory. Accessible at http://www.weather.gov.hk/informtc/tc2010/tc1008.htm 12:05 pm, Oct 1st, 2010


     This map is about tropical cyclones around Hong Kong. Amongst the five cyclones, Lionrock necessitated the issuance of tropical cyclone warning signals in Hong Kong. According to the map, Lionrock formed as a tropical depression over the northern part of the South China Sea about 600 km south-southeast of Hong Kong on 28 August and moved northwestwards. It intensified into a tropical storm the next day and turned to the north.


    Being a Hong Kong citizen, I feel that one of HK's specialities
is having typhoons.Therefore, this map is interesting to me. When
 I saw this map, I  got more familiar with  five tropical cyclones
formed over the western North Pacific and South China Sea in
August 2010. Furthermore, it indicates clearly about the
longitude and lattitude of the cyclones. Therefore, this map
is a very useful tool to show me the locations of the cyclones. 

    I was spending my summer vacation in HK during that time. It is
usually hot and humid during summer in the city. Honestly, I do
not enjoy rainstorms.  The issuance of tropical cyclone warning
signals caused by Lionrock prohibited me from joining outdoor
activities with my friends. As a result, I just stayed at home and
did nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment